Battery Life

On 17/08/07, Eero Tamminen <eero.tamminen at nokia.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ext Frantisek Dufka wrote:
> > True. But still seeing power consumption could help and having actual
> > current drawn from battery somewhere in /proc would be very useful in
> > many situations.
> >
> > <snip>
> > These were just examples and some of them may not be good but you should
> > still see the point.
>
> Yes, they are good points.  Better tools are always needed.
>
> I'm just frustrated that people don't use the tools that
> are already available, both on desktop[1] and for the device.
> Even with the currency consumption meter you would still need top &
> strace to find out which process actually consumes the power.

So it turns out claws is doing a gettimeofday poll every 10 seconds, so
you're right the strace was useful, but it's hard to quantify the affect of
this polling and whether it's significant enough to warrant the developers
fixing.

The power consumption of applications in the foreground should also be good
as users can set the keyboard lock with an application in the foreground.

Michael