Battery Life

Hi,

> ext Michael Thompson wrote:
>> How do we know if an application has good power usage.

It wakes up only when it's doing something for you. When it _does_
things for you, it has good responsiveness and doesn't make rest
of the system non-responsive.

>> How do we know what the actual current consumption is?

You use extra hardware for that, not software. :-)

But anyway, that is not really relevant information when talking
about applications.  The question is not how much doing a thing
consumes power, but is doing that thing really something that needs
to be done.

If application has to do something, then it has to.  The power
consumption of doing something isn't anything that application
developers can affect (people at Nokia side are trying to get HW/kernel
such that when something is not used, it doesn't use more power than it
absolutely has to).

If code doesn't need to do anything, then it shouldn't.

This is the same crap people talk about in memory analysis.  They want
to know how much _exactly_ something is using from the whole system
compared to the other applications.  But that's not really a relevant
question. The relevant questions are:
- Is the application able to do what it needs to do?  Even when
  user has other applications open with data he cares about?
  - basically how much free memory is available in the system
- Is there something that can be optimized in the (memory/power/cpu)
  usage?
  - often there's also a performance/memory tradeoff

If there isn't anything that you can optimize, it doesn't matter
how exact number you get for the consumption.  Getting a relatively
good approximation helps in prioritization, but it doesn't need to
be necessarily be particularly accurate.

Igor Stoppa wrote:
> There is ongoing work to provide users with graphical information about
> current consumption.

So the device _can_ know (fairly exactly) how much power it draws
from the battery at the moment?

> The idea is that when you want to measure an application, you can first
> do a sort of "calibration" with a clean system in the state you are
> interested (i.e. wlan on or off), then install the application to be
> tested and run gain the measurement.

This value changes the whole time depending on what application is
doing, user's settings (wlan power, timeouts etc).  How accurate
average the device can get on the power it spends?

>> I'm not sure that strace'ing is very ideal
>
> No, but some users and most developers could use it.
>
>>         Powertop is not using such hacks and it works. Users have
>>         started
>>         complaining with dfevelopers and developers themselves have
>>         taken
>>         powerto in use.
>>
>> Can we run powertop or equivalent on the N800/Maemo?
>
> I'll let Eero answer this.

The kernel needs to be re-built with CONFIG_TIMER_STATS=y but that
seems to make at least the current wlan driver (binary blob) not
to work correctly.  The powertop package from Debian should work
about as is once timer stats are provided.

However, it should be noted that for a normal developer strace
provides *much* better information.  The problem with powertop
is how you exclude the wakeups your powertop usage causes (ssh wlan
wakeups etc)?  You can just output the powertop data to tmpfs,
but that's also very user unfriendly way to get the information.

With strace you can monitor exactly what you want.  If a process
is not doing any syscalls (nor busylooping without syscalls which
would show up immediately in "top"), it doesn't invoke anything from
the kernel either, so getting information about kernel when you're
interested just about what user-space processes cause, is redundant.

Third tool you can use in addition to "top" and "strace" is
"xresponse".  It tells what screen updates are being done to
the screen. Just do this in the ssh console:
	xresponse -w 0 -i

And see all the screen updates (in X geometry format) listed
with their timestamps.  Xresponse and strace are available from
the Maemo repositories.

With Sbox you can just "kill -SIGUSR1 $(pidof Xephyr)" to
request Xephyr to show which parts of its screen are updated.

Note that both Xephyr and xresponse can show multiple screen
updates that happen at the same time as a single rectangle.
That's due to XDamage extension works, not a problem in the
tools themselves.

	- Eero