Battery Life

On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 16:51 +0100, ext Andrew Flegg wrote:
> On 8/16/07, Eero Tamminen <eero.tamminen at nokia.com> wrote:
> >
> > Applications should stop all visual activity and updates when they are
> > not visible.  This is voluntarily, as it naturally depends on the actual
> > use-case e.g. all Nokia apps do this except for media player and iradio
> > applet which play music also backgrounded.  If you notice that some 3rd
> > party app has activity although you're not using it and/or it's not
> > visible nor there's no other good reason for it to be active, file a bug
> > against it.
>
> Given the importance of this to battery life, it would be cool if apps
> were sent SIGSUSP when they were minimized or some the user stopped
> interacting with them. If an application (e.g. media player) wanted to
> override this behaviour, they could do so in their .desktop file,
> .service file or osso_initialize() call.

No.

Apps that do useless stuff are buggy and the bugs must be fixed.

You are proposing a shortcut that is encouraging crappy code to be
written, since the system will always take care of saying: "psst,
pretend to be a properly written piece of code".

If an application has nothing to do, it _must_ be blocked waiting for
something, such as an event, a timer, whatever it cares about, nothing
else.

Actually we want apps to do that also and especially when they are in
foreground as well. Background is no special case.

Would you be happy if your foregrounded app would run and drain the
battery while it's doing nothing and waiting for you to press a button?

That wouldn't really be caught by sending SIGSUSP when backgrounding.

Have you ever wondered how come your typical GHz PC can have performance
sometimes comparable with an internet tablet?

--
Cheers, Igor

Igor Stoppa <igor.stoppa at nokia.com>
(Nokia Multimedia - CP - OSSO / Helsinki, Finland)