Battery Life

You could probably watch CPU usage as a pretty good indicator. I've noticed
just having some applications in the foreground (like the browser on a
complicated webpage) will shoot the CPU usage way up.

IIRC, one of the Nokia engineers stated that apps are basically stopped
(like hitting Ctrl+Z in bash) when they are minimized, and resumed when
they're foregrounded. I might have made this up, but based on the CPU
monitor it certainly would appear that something like that is going on.

--Paul