Battery Life

On 16/08/07, Igor Stoppa <igor.stoppa at nokia.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 17:17 +0100, ext Andrew Flegg wrote:
> > On 8/16/07, Igor Stoppa <igor.stoppa at nokia.com> wrote:
> > > On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 16:51 +0100, ext Andrew Flegg wrote:
> > >
> <snip>
> >
> > Battery life eating is a particularly tricky bug to nail down to a
> > single application (or home applet).
>
> That's why users shouldn't try a bunch of new apps in one go.
> Maybe some way to easily share information about battery life would be
> useful on maemo.org ...
>
> Quim: what do you think about extending the rating of applications so
> that they could cover several aspects, including but not only battery
> usage?

How do we know if an application has good power usage.

How do we know what the actual current consumption is?

Does the hardware know what current is being consumed from the battery (and
can that info be exposed in/proc or the battery applett) or is the battery
app guessing based on the battery voltage?

> > You are proposing a shortcut that is encouraging crappy code to be
> > > written, since the system will always take care of saying: "psst,
> > > pretend to be a properly written piece of code".
> >
> > Yes, I am. On the basis that this is a) easier and b) more likely than
> > getting end-user tools to properly diagnose which applications aren't
> > well behaved.
>
> That's not true. Proper tools don't need that. As Eero has already
> described, it's possible to use existing stats from the system.

I'm not sure that strace'ing is very ideal

Powertop is not using such hacks and it works. Users have started
> complaining with dfevelopers and developers themselves have taken
> powerto in use.

Can we run powertop or equivalent on the N800/Maemo?