Battery Life

> How do we know what the actual current consumption is?
>
> Does the hardware know what current is being consumed from the battery (and
> can that info be exposed in/proc or the battery applett) or is the battery
> app guessing based on the battery voltage?

I do think it would be interesting to see some more of the internals of
the battery meter, etc.

I've certainly noticed that when rebooting my N800 while it's showing 2
or 3 bars on the battery applet, it will come back up and settle at one
bar. Is this because it's lost its previous state data. I.e. is past
usage used to predict the amount of available time left (or is it only
the current current draw and booting has skewed it)? How does this
affect the bars shown on the battery meter?

I'd also be interested to know how the Nokia battery performance
erodes, and whether this is taken into account when predicting battery
life and bars on the applet. I know the Sharp Zaurus used to leave the
reported battery output (from the kernel) at 100% for an awfully long
time, presumably so that users didn't wonder why their old and tired
battery had dropped off 20% as soon as they unplugged it from the
charger. Presumably Nokia do something similar. It would be interesting
to know (and I doubt it is really such confidential information that it
couldn't be obtained by someone with a decent measurement rig and an
N800/770 plugged into it).

Cheers,

Simon