my two big fustrations with the N800 - please help me find aworkaround!

Ed Bartosh <eduard.bartosh at nokia.com> writes:

>> Of course not.  Nokia wants the maemo community to be healthy, and
>> Nokia, as initiator and part of the community, is currently very much
>> in charge of setting the rules and giving directions for future
>> improvement.
>
> I agree with this. My point was that community had and still has a
> chance to make a proper use of Extras repository even without Nokia. I
> didn't mean that Nokia isn't going to help them. I hope people
> understood that.

Ahh, good, sorry for misunderstanding.  I agree with your statement,
too: I didn't expect the repository explosion and I am surprised that
the community puts up with it so long.

>> If Nokia doesn't want that responsibility, the whole maemo thing
>> needs to be opened up more: maybe formally with a maemo foundation,
>> board of directors, etc, or informally by just giving the root
>> password to maemo.org to some non-Nokians.
>
> How is it related to current topic?

I was generalizing beyond the current topic, based on misunderstanding
your point.  I was trying to point out the important and unique role
that Nokia has in the maemo community.

> What prevents developers to set up rules for using extras and use it
> instead of creating uncountable amount of one-package-repositories?

I agree that Nokia doesn't need to remove obstacles.  Maybe just some
annoyances: package signing inside Scratchbox could be better, maybe,
and the things that Tomas talks about.

We will find out when we try to convince the owners of the many
repositories to use maemo Extras instead.  This convincing and
figuring out can be done by members of the community, but I'd say it
is in the interest of Nokia to spend some resources on it.