my two big fustrations with the N800 - please help me find aworkaround!

On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 16:38 -0400, ext Mike Lococo wrote:
> >> You mention several repositories that don't belong to us [Nokia]. We don't
> >> respond of them. We can't and won't stop developers from creating their
> >> own repositories.
> >
> > Maybe someone can monitor intersting and widely used packages moving it to
> > the extras repo notifying package developer or offering him/her to put
> > package there.
>
> It's much more sensible for the developers to simply put their packages
> in the official repos in the first place (although if you want to
> volunteer to move packages into extras no one will stop you).
I would say some developers wouldn't be happy if someone else put their
packages into extras. If they want to put them there they would just do
that. I can see at least one reason of that: lack of download statistics
for packages downloaded from extras.

For example for me personally it's not a big problem to put at least
ssh, xterm, and similar often used packages to extras. Each time I do
the upgrade I have to remember where did I get them from, or to go to
maemo downloads and look for them there. Instead of it it can be just
couple of clicks in AI if all those packages were in extra.
Most of developers from this list have the same filing, I believe.
Probably it's time to just make a list of those 20 packages and put them
into extras?
Also it would be nice to make some criteria for packages to go there, at
least simple voting at the beginning.

>  The problem is that the repos are frustrating to access and use, so folks
> are throwing up their own instead.
This one I don't understand at all, sorry. What frustration are you
talking about? For those developers who has garage accounts it's just
matter of sending one e-mail asking for access to extras. What kind of
frustration do you see here?

> It's an often discussed problem on
> the developers list, although I don't recall that any clear conclusion
> has been reached beyond "Nokia is working on making the repos better",
> or that any clear timeline has been laid out for improvements.
If it's about extras I think it's 100% community issue. Extras was given
to community long time ago, but people didn't manage to organize more or
less working practice to put their packages there. They prefer to have
their own repositories or just put packages everywhere for some unknown
reason.

--
Ed Bartosh <eduard.bartosh at nokia.com>
Nokia-M/Helsinki