my two big fustrations with the N800 - please help me find aworkaround!

On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 13:02 +0300, Marius Vollmer wrote:
> "ext Ed Bartosh" <eduard.bartosh at nokia.com> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 12:08 +0300, ext Tomas Junnonen wrote:
> >
> >> If there's any additional hoops to jump through people just aren't going
> >> to bother.
> >
> > Yeah, I can see that. And you know what? It's not because Nokia not
> > doing this and that, it's just because of people who don't
> > bother. As a result we have this mess with tons of repositories and
> > .install files instead of one extra. And we also have users, who
> > have to deal with this mess.
>
> With some effort, we could find a line of argument that leaves Nokia
> not responsible for the current mess.  Should Nokia be contend with
> that, turn around and say: "Your fault, not our problem"?
>
> Of course not.  Nokia wants the maemo community to be healthy, and
> Nokia, as initiator and part of the community, is currently very much
> in charge of setting the rules and giving directions for future
> improvement.

I agree with this. My point was that community had and still has a
chance to make a proper use of Extras repository even without Nokia. I
didn't mean that Nokia isn't going to help them. I hope people
understood that.

> Nokia controls maemo.org.  Non-Nokia member of the community can have
> their projects on Garage, edit the Wiki, send mails to the lists, blog
> on Planet maemo and upload packages to the Extras repository.  But
> Nokia controls Garage, the Wiki, the mailing lists, the Planet and the
> Extras repository.  From this power comes repsonsiblity.
>
> If Nokia doesn't want that responsibility, the whole maemo thing needs
> to be opened up more: maybe formally with a maemo foundation, board of
> directors, etc, or informally by just giving the root password to
> maemo.org to some non-Nokians.
How is it related to current topic? What prevents developers to set up
rules for using extras and use it instead of creating uncountable amount
of  one-package-repositories?
You can also read Ferenc explanations about status of extra in this
thread. He mentioned there that garage code is open, contributions are
welcome, repository exists and works. Does it mean that "Nokia doesn't
want this responsibility"?

--
Ed Bartosh <eduard.bartosh at nokia.com>
Nokia-M/Helsinki