Virtual keyboards (was: Re: my two big fustrations with the N800 - please help me find aworkaround!)

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 02:09:28PM +0300, Tomas Junnonen wrote:
> ext James Knott wrote:
> > I have demonstrated with two different virtual
> > keyboards, that it is indeed possible to run an X app via ssh, with a
> >  virtual keyboard.  Now that this fact has been established, perhaps
> > you can explain why the N800 virtual keyboard fails in this regard.
> > It is not because it is not possible with X.  Incidentally, xvkbd
> > occupies a small area of my screen and while onBoard uses a larger
> > area, it is still smaller than my desktop.  As for the keyboard
> > showing or not showing all the time, I'm not expecting it to
> > disappear, when not needed.  It would be nice if it could simply be
> > available for me to use, in the manner I might use xvkbd or onBoard
>
> There are many ways to implement a virtual keyboard. For example, you
> can do it on the X level or using a toolkit (gtk in our case) as David
> mentioned. As there are benefits and drawbacks to each approach, please
> let me tell you a bit of the design decisions that have gone into the
> N800 virtual keyboard (VKB).

Thank you, it is always very interesting to hear the reasons behind the
design decisions.

> An X level VKB closely emulates a hardware keyboard; you press a key on
> the VKB and an X event is generated. From an application point of view
> there is no distinction whether the key press is generated by the VKB or
> a physical keyboard, therefore an X level VKB has the advantage that it
> will work with just about any application.

Just to clarify, when you're talking about the X level, do you mean XIM,
synthetic events, or XTest?

>  - The VKB is aware of the application and widget focus. While you may
> disagree, having the VKB on the screen only when needed is an important
> feature from my point of view.

Only the current implementation doesn't quite realize when I need the
VKB.  For example, when you switch between two applications, and both
need the VKB (e.g. Notes and osso-xterm), the VKB disappears after a
switch and I have to bring it up manually every time.

Marius Gedminas
--
I once asked an older coworker and Solaris guru what happened with the
Unix-haters list. He told me that it stopped being quite so funny once Windows