my two big fustrations with the N800 - please help me find aworkaround!

On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 21:20 -0400, James Knott wrote:
> When I use a remote app on my desktop system, the keyboard and mouse
> work with that application.

As they do with the N800. Hook a Bluetooth keyboard up, and it works
just like you said.

You might try actually READING what I posted.

>   Why doesn't the N800 "keyboard" follow
> that, regardless of whether I'm using a virtual keyboard or hand
> writing.
Because, as I said in my first post, they keyboard on the N800 is NOT an
X function, it is a function of GTK, which, as I also said in my

That is like saying "How come when I change my Gnome theme on my local
computer, my remote sessions don't change their theme! Gnome broke X!"

No, themes are a level above the X protocol - just like the virtual
keyboard.

>   It is generating characters, just like any physical keyboard.
No, it is NOT. The Hildon keyboard is a GTK entity, and is NOT
generating X keypress events.

> Why should there be a difference for what should be an identical function?

Because they AREN'T identical functions, they are similar looking
functions. That's like saying that because a zebra looks like a horse,
it is identical to a horse, just stripy-er. They aren't the same, they
don't have the same number of chromosomes, they aren't the same.

The Hildon keyboard is a function of GTK, not X. It does not generate X
keyboard events, it generates GTK events OUTSIDE OF X.

Now, take a few moments, and READ WHAT I JUST WROTE.