my two big fustrations with the N800 - please help me find aworkaround!

On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 03:12:47PM +0300, Tomas Junnonen wrote:
> Defaults matter. By enabling extras through an install file on garage
> you're limiting yourself to the hardcore crowd who knows to visit garage
> in the first place.

True, but we don't need to wait until the next OS/Firmware refresh to
change the default.  It would be a good thing to do, but that's
probably at least 2-3 months away, no?  (And I
expect/hope/fear/anticipate eagerly that there will only be 2-3
releases before some new hardware refresh moving us from the 770 to
the N800 to maybe the N850, right?  :-)

What about highlighting some really cool community package that would
be of use to the general user population, not just the power users[1],
and putting it in extras, and then plugging it on the Tableteer web
site?  Then when people install it, they wlil get the extra repository
automatically added to sources list.

And in general, the goal really should be to encourage community
members to make their packages polished enough so they *are* worthy to
be published and plugged on Tableteer.  After all, in the open source
community that kind of publicity and reputation capital of getting
plugged on an "official" site is a really big motivator.  So if there
were standards published about what it would take to do that, I think
it would make a huge difference in terms of that "carrot".  And that
was Nokia's original dream of the Internet Tablet anyway, right --- to
build a platform and to get the community to help make it much more
useful?  (At least, that's what I remember from chatting with the
Nokia folks at that really nice shindig in Tremezzo, Italy.  :-)

						- Ted

[1] Although given the lack of a decent Calendar/PDA application and
better cellphone integration of the Contacts application, I suspect a
large number of the regular users of the N800 *are* power users; right
now I have to carry around my Cell phone, my palm pilot, *and* my
N-800, and when I can't carry around so many toys, guess which one
gets left at home?  Hint: it's not the cell phone.  And until Nokia
figures out how to implement decent PDA functionality, I'm still going
to be carrying my Palm pilot around.  I paid $$$ for the E70 and was
*very* disappointed in the quality of the PDA applications; why is it
that 12-year-old Palm technology still better than anything Nokia can
put out over a decade later?  I've occasionally considered ditching
the E70 and replacing it with a Treo, just to cut down on the number
of units I have to carry around.  If I could get a Treo (or something
with Palm Pilot level of functionality) in a E70 form-factor, I'd be
ditching the E70 so fast it would make your head spin.

And if the Palm Foleo has better PDA applications, it might seriouslly
threaten the N800; after all, it has built-in keyboard and is only
$100 more....