my two big fustrations with the N800 - please help me find aworkaround!

On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 18:29 -0400, James Knott wrote:
> Paul Klapperich wrote:
> Another problem I've encountered, is with remote X apps.  On my desktop
> linux systems, I can remotely run apps, via ssh and X.  While I can
> start and display those apps on my N800, I can't use the keyboard or
> hand writing recognition to entere anything.  This has been part of X
> and Unix/Linux for many years, yet it's broken on the N800.

That's not entirely accurate. Handwriting recognition has never been a
part of the X windowing system, and if you have a Bluetooth keyboard
associated with the N800, you can most definitely run X applications
with keyboard.

The virtual keyboard/handwriting layer on the N800 is done not at the X
protocol level, but at the GTK level. There's no way for the X server to
"know" that the specific X window you have given focus to is a
"keyboard" type input - the only solution would be for any window which
can accept focus to cause the launch of the virtual keyboard. And note:
what X considers a "window" is not the same as what you or I consider a
window - any button, scroll bar, or just about any focusable object is a
"window" to X.

Now, if you want to complain about the window manager losing a minimized
window, so that any non-Hildonized program once minimized cannot be
maximized, I'll be right behind you saying Amen!