my two big fustrations with the N800 - please help me find aworkaround!

On Friday 20 July 2007 07:45:16 andrei raevsky wrote:
> On 7/20/07, Theodore Tso <tytso at mit.edu> wrote:
> > why is it
> > that 12-year-old Palm technology still better than anything Nokia can
> > put out over a decade later?
> >
> > And if the Palm Foleo has better PDA applications, it might seriouslly
> > threaten the N800; after all, it has built-in keyboard and is only
> > $100 more....
>
> I think I can answer this one (and if I am wrong, please correct me): the
> Nokia Tablets were never designed to be PDAs.  They have some PDA
> capabilities thanks to, if my memory is correct, GPE (or something
> similar), but they were *not* intended as PDAs.  You can probably plow a
> field with a Ferrari, but it would be better to use a tractor.  And in a
> decade, Ferraris will still be mediocre tools to plow fields.
>
> I personally have no use whatsoever for "PDA applications" and I am quite
> happy that Nokia did not even try to go down that road.  They created a
> fantastic piece of hardware and a rather good OS to run it.  Then they
> added some applications and the rest is up to us, the community.  And it
> seems that the community does not have PDA functionality high up its list
> of priorities and I understand that.
>
> I do not mean to be critical, but you might stick to Palm for PDA like
> applications and not expect Internet Tablets to ever even try to match
> them.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Andrei

I kind of have to agree with Andrei.  If I wanted a PDA I'd put batteries in
my palm III .  But to have the full capabilities of a laptop + 24/7 anywhere
I have a Cell signal connectivity to the net so I can do things with my
family until my boss calls in a panic.  THAT is priceless to me.

I don't see the system as a lightweight device at all.  The owner ... now that
can be lightweight (I need to get off my duff here soon and build fuser
modules.) But I really need to either carry something as portable as the
770/n800 or figure out how to make my laptop walk.

James