my two big fustrations with the N800 - please help me find aworkaround!

On 7/20/07, James Knott <james.knott at rogers.com> wrote:
> andrei raevsky wrote:
> >
> > I personally have no use whatsoever for "PDA applications" and I am
> > quite happy that Nokia did not even try to go down that road.  They
> > created a fantastic piece of hardware and a rather good OS to run it.
> > Then they added some applications and the rest is up to us, the
> > community.  And it seems that the community does not have PDA
> > functionality high up its list of priorities and I understand that.
> >
> > I do not mean to be critical, but you might stick to Palm for PDA like
> > applications and not expect Internet Tablets to ever even try to match
> > them.
> >
> While you might not have need of some PDA functions, others might.
> Given that it's so easy to install software, why not simply make it
> available for those who want it?

I'm not sure I understand that statement. They are available. Nokia
isn't preventing you from installing them. They even added an alarm
API to the N800 so these apps can notify you when events are about to
occur, though they still don't have a vibrate alarm in the hardware
(next release, please??).

What Nokia probably won't do is spend money developing PIM apps. It's
a communication and entertainment device. I use it to stream media
(movies and audio), as an extension to my home telephone (love
Asterisk) and the best palm top browser I've ever used (neither Palm
or PocketPC can match the browsing experience). While I wouldn't mind
if Nokia spent the money on this, I wouldn't expect it. We'll need to
help our selves, here.

--Paul

--Paul