my two big fustrations with the N800 - please help me find aworkaround!

"ext James Knott" <james.knott at rogers.com> writes:

> Further on this.  As an experiment, I just installed xvkbd on my main
> system, running the KDE desktop.  I then connected to another system via
> ssh and started an application.  I am able to use the xvkbd virtual
> keyboard to type into OpenOffice on the remote system.  This is
> precisely the result I'm looking for on the N800.  Please tell me again
> how it's impossible to use a virtual keyboard for this, when I'm able to
> do so here.

I think he says that there is no way for the N800 to know when to show
and when to hide the virtual keyboard.  That is true, but only a minor
problem.  We can leave it to the user to show and hide the keyboard as
needed.  Toolkits like Gtk+ can provide extra hints to the keyboard,
but if there are no hints coming, the user should still be able to
show and hide it explicitly.