[maemo-users] [maemo-announce] New OS 2006 firmware released

>From nokia
>consumer product point of view, perhaps this is not their
>issues, since they expect users to just buy the tablet and use
>without 3rd party software.

Just to clarify, we expect (and encourage) users to install 3rd party
software. See the Maemo effort and the progress being done making easier
to end-users to find applications and install them.

Upgrading is a known problem, yes. The perfect solution is to be
implemented yet. Upgrading via packages and repositories is not exempt
of trouble and risks for end-users either, as other .deb based
developers know.

Nokia Internet Tablets come with a warranty that goes far beyond the
warranties Debian or Ubuntu distributions offer to their users. Only
this small detail changes completely our picture. Then you can go
through other details about user experience and technical aspects.

PS: I'm not saying option A or B is better, I'm just trying to stress
why things aren't as simple as they might look from your perspective.

--
Quim Gil
Maemo team