[maemo-users] [maemo-announce] New OS 2006 firmware released

Simon Moore wrote:
> Some feedback for the new version 3 IT2006 on the 770
>
> The web browser (opera 8.02) and flash player (6.0.82.2) are still the
> same version and still crash (as in browser closes, or occasionally
> whole OS reboots) randomly with no discernable pattern (i.e. crash on
> a page one moment, reload the browser and it is fine on the same
> page).  Other than that it seems to work.

I agree with you on your points. For an internet tablet, the Nokia 770
software is very buggy. The browser randomly shuts down and sometimes
reboots the Nokia, blinding me at night in the process :-)

The video player is very poor. It seems to give random error messages on
videos that it has played before and will play again in the future. It
doesn't support that many video formats, and resolutions. Mplayer will
play the same video that Nokia 770 will claim not a valid resolution.

I don't even use the email client. Does anyone? I use a web front end to
view my email.

I see wasted time effort in developing software for the Nokia.  The
bright side is all the 3rd party software for the Nokia and that is its
saving grace. If it wasn't 3rd party software, I would consider the
Nokia 770 a disaster.

my 3rd party software that I use:
xterm
ssh
vnc
mplayer

Personally, I wish Nokia would have went with thunderbird and firefox
that could be improved by the outside community. Instead, they went with
buggy pieces of proprietary code that Nokia can't seem to fix on its own.

My other big complaint is that the entire device has to be reflashed in
order to run the new version of the OS. Why can't they update different
pieces, like the browser, or the kernel? Since the browser and flash
player hasn't been updated, I don't think I will update my Nokia 770.

I am also watching how Nokia still supports the 770 and this will impact
my decision on whether I should upgrade to the 800 or the next version
down the road. If they can't update the web browser on the 770, it tells
me that next year, the 800 will be in the same boat. As of now, my Nokia
770 is supported quit well by 3rd party developers! Hurah!