[maemo-users] [maemo-announce] New OS 2006 firmware released

Eero Tamminen schrieb:
> Note that for performance reasons the binaries & libraries on the
> device are prelinked.  This is not automatically done when some
> package is updated (would take too long time etc).  I.e. with the
> central library package update, your device will get slower + use more
> Flash and RAM.

It may take long, but...

> Also, on a mobile device, it's much more likely that the battery runs
> out, or drops out (if user is a bit thoughtless). If this happens when
> you're running dist-upgrade, you've bricked your device.

...one can make sure that "apt-get dist-upgrade" and similar tasks stop
or complain if the device is running on battery. This would enforce
major package changes to users with chargers plugged into the device.

I still believe that incremental upgrades to the system are the way to
go. With a flash image ready just in case the upgrades go wrong or the
user wants to make a fresh start.

Regards,

Hanno