[maemo-users] Some Thoughts Regarding IT OS 2007 and the N800

On 30/01/07, Michael Wiktowy <michael.wiktowy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/29/07, Humberto Ortiz Zuazaga <humberto at hpcf.upr.edu> wrote:
> > Jakub.Pavelek at nokia.com wrote:
> > > As I said, we migh look into it, but AFAIK this would mean we either
> > > modify the current locale (really nasty) or create a pseudo-locale with
> > > the user setting (just nasty). Unless someone has better idea or
> > > understanding of the POSIX locales. Either way, I'd feel we would be the
> > > only UNIX system doing this (does OSX do it too?). Ideas welcome.
> > Here's what the terminal thinks is my locale information:
> >
> > $ locale
> > LANG=
> > LC_COLLATE="C"
> > LC_CTYPE="C"
> > LC_MESSAGES="C"
> > LC_MONETARY="C"
> > LC_NUMERIC="C"
> > LC_TIME="C"
> > LC_ALL="C"
>
> I believe that the "C" just means that it uses the current locale for
> those settings.

C is actually a locale definition.

If you've got a *nix machine handy (I've only tested on Linux, but it
should be similar on any POSIX-compliant system), you can:

* use "locale -a" to get a list of available locales
* use "export LC_TIME=$(locale_name)" to set your locale (eg, "export
LC_TIME=C" to switch to the C locale)
* use "locale -v -c LC_TIME" to see the full definition of LC_TIME for
that locale

I just did a quick comparison of the C and de_DE locales on a linux
machine I had handy - the full diff is below, and I've attached the
full files

The main difference, as far as this conversation goes, would be these lines:

C locale:

%H:%M:%S
%I:%M:%S %p

de_DE locale:

%T
<blank line>

These format strings are as per date(1).

In the C locale, there's a definition for both 12-hour time (second
line) and 24-hour time (first line). In the de_DE locale, there's only
24-hour time.

If Nokia don't care about this and stubbornly refuse to support their
users, which seems to be the case, it shouldn't be hard for us to
create our own locales and use them. I'd work on this right now, but
my N800 is still in transit... give me a week or two :)

There's a detailed guide to LC_TIME at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/pseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.aix.files/doc/aixfiles/LC_TIME.htm

[root at rhel1 ~]# diff C de_DE
2,10c2,9
< Sun;Mon;Tue;Wed;Thu;Fri;Sat
< Sunday;Monday;Tuesday;Wednesday;Thursday;Friday;Saturday
< Jan;Feb;Mar;Apr;May;Jun;Jul;Aug;Sep;Oct;Nov;Dec
< January;February;March;April;May;June;July;August;September;October;November;December
< AM;PM
< %a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Y
< %m/%d/%y
< %H:%M:%S
< %I:%M:%S %p
---
> So;Mo;Di;Mi;Do;Fr;Sa
> Sonntag;Montag;Dienstag;Mittwoch;Donnerstag;Freitag;Samstag
> Jan;Feb;M?r;Apr;Mai;Jun;Jul;Aug;Sep;Okt;Nov;Dez
> Januar;Februar;M?rz;April;Mai;Juni;Juli;August;September;Oktober;November;Dezember
> ;
> %a %d %b %Y %T %Z
> %d.%m.%Y
> %T
17d15
< 0
18a17,18
> 0
20c20
< 19971130
---
> 19971201
22c22
< 7
---
> 1
27c27
< ANSI_X3.4-1968
---
--
There is nothing more worthy of contempt than a man who quotes himself
- Zhasper, 2004