[maemo-users] Some Thoughts Regarding IT OS 2007 and the N800

Jakub, I'm not Mike so this is my view:

>Why do you want the 24 hour clock for UK/US users?

Well one reason is because as a user I want it.

If that's not enough, then I prefer the lack of ambiguity between 4am and pm which is resolved by referencing 04:00 and 16:00.

It does seem odd to me that there seems to be some specific rule implemented for US/UK times when I've lived here for 46 years and not run into any specific format spec for UK times.

> Is it just for the
>clock application or do you equally strongly need to have 24 hour clock
>when file manager shows file timestaps or email shows the received
>time(date) field, etc.?

For me, I'd say the latter.

>If you are running the UI in English but living in e.g. Germany you
>could also just go to the Control Panel, launch "Language and region"
>applet, set your UI to English, your regional settings to Deutchland and
>off you go.

That sounds like a horrible hack to me. And I don't live in Germany and want a 24 hour clock.

And I'm still wondering where this UK = am/pm clock style only comes from.

>I do not see this as something that would be high enough on our agenda
>right now.

For me it's lower priority that getting an email client that works so I don't have to online and paying Orange's outrageous data charges to read my mail. Having said that, I'd be interested to know why the original implementation is broken and on what basis the decision was made.

Andy