[maemo-users] Some Thoughts Regarding IT OS 2007 and the N800

On 1/29/07, Humberto Ortiz Zuazaga <humberto at hpcf.upr.edu> wrote:
> Jakub.Pavelek at nokia.com wrote:
> > As I said, we migh look into it, but AFAIK this would mean we either
> > modify the current locale (really nasty) or create a pseudo-locale with
> > the user setting (just nasty). Unless someone has better idea or
> > understanding of the POSIX locales. Either way, I'd feel we would be the
> > only UNIX system doing this (does OSX do it too?). Ideas welcome.
> Here's what the terminal thinks is my locale information:
>
> $ locale
> LANG=
> LC_COLLATE="C"
> LC_CTYPE="C"
> LC_MESSAGES="C"
> LC_MONETARY="C"
> LC_NUMERIC="C"
> LC_TIME="C"
> LC_ALL="C"

I believe that the "C" just means that it uses the current locale for
those settings. So there seems to be some mechanism for deviating from
the local norms.  It looks like you have not overridden those dominant
local standards with your own preference of standards ... like ISO
8601 for instance ... which makes a whole lot more sense than any
local variant.

In the end, it is not really a big deal but rather a little constant
irritant. Now that I know that I can hack the locale file, I will. But
to not present that choice in the UI is a little user-hostile.

/Mike