[maemo-users] Some Thoughts Regarding IT OS 2007 and the N800

On 29 Jan 2007, at 10:11, Jakub.Pavelek at nokia.com wrote:

>>> If you are running the UI in English but living in e.g. Germany you
>>> could also just go to the Control Panel, launch "Language and
>>> region"
>>> applet, set your UI to English, your regional settings to Deutchland
>>> and off you go.
>>
>> That sounds like a horrible hack to me. And I don't live in
>> Germany and want a 24 hour clock.
>
> Not for me running English UI with Finish locales ;)

So not a lot of help.

>> And I'm still wondering where this UK = am/pm clock style only
>> comes from.
>
> POSIX locale. Specifications for US/UK say you use 12 hour time.

Oh good. Well at least I know who got it wrong.

>>> I do not see this as something that would be high enough on
>>> our agenda right now.
>>
>> For me it's lower priority that getting an email client that
>> works so I don't have to online and paying Orange's outrageous
>> data charges to read my mail. Having said that, I'd be
>> interested to know why the original implementation is broken
>> and on what basis the decision was made.
>
> Nothing is broken, all works as specified ;)
>
> As I said, we migh look into it, but AFAIK this would mean we either
> modify the current locale (really nasty) or create a pseudo-locale
> with
> the user setting (just nasty). Unless someone has better idea or
> understanding of the POSIX locales. Either way, I'd feel we would
> be the
> only UNIX system doing this (does OSX do it too?). Ideas welcome.

Amusingly, the AM/PM options is not available to me in OSX
preference so while it is  now 20:49 in 24 notation, I can only get
08:49 not 08:49PM.

Which seems to me to be wrong,

Andy