[maemo-users] Battery Benchmarking?

Igor Stoppa (igor.stoppa at nokia.com) wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 12:15 +0100, ext Simon Budig wrote:
> > The N800 has no equivalent. When you stop using it, its screen stays
> > lighted for a while - "wasn't there something else you wanted to use me
> > for?", it still demands a certain amount of attention. Then it switches
> > the light off at some point - if it is lying around in your vincinity
> > this is another visible intrusion that you'll notice even from the
> > corner of your eyes. Plus it - at least the prototype I've seen - keeps
> > blinking the blue LED in the cursor pad. Not sure what this is supposed
> > to indicate. Active Network connection? "not really switched off"?
>
> No, the LED is off by default and the power-savvy user will wisely keep
> it off and even switch it off if it gets accidentally enabled.
> If you are more interested into running your device for longer time than
> having that disco effect, keep it off.

Oh right. It is not my device, so someone probably has played with the
settings. If it is disableable this is fine with me - at least what
concerns the LED.

Also I'd guess that creating an applet for "stop bothering me" (i.e.
blank screen now, shut down the networks) is not really that hard to
create, so this is something that can be "remedied". It just lacks the
nice haptic feedback of sliding the cover on.

> yes, arguable choice, but it can be disabled. 770 wasn't explicitly sold
> as always-on and therefore connectivity got killed by default.
> UI and marketing choices ....

I can see the reasoning behind the "always-on" policy, especially when
taking the non-geek into consideration. I guess I am a bit
non-fashionable there - I am not yet a voip-enabled geek and I use my
phone for phone calls. I guess in the future I'll have to use my mobile
web browser for phone calls as well. Hmm. Why is there no GSM in the
N800? (Joke, joke...)   :)

Bye,
        Simon
--