[maemo-users] Re: Battery Benchmarking?

Simon Budig wrote:
> I believe Nokia is missing a psychological factor here. Putting the
> cover on the 770 allows the user to forget about it. He finished using
> it and it is kind of stored away safely, it won't distract him.

That's exactly how I feel about it.

> The N800 has no equivalent. When you stop using it, its screen stays
> lighted for a while - "wasn't there something else you wanted to use me
> for?", it still demands a certain amount of attention. Then it switches
> the light off at some point - if it is lying around in your vincinity
> this is another visible intrusion that you'll notice even from the
> corner of your eyes. Plus it - at least the prototype I've seen - keeps
> blinking the blue LED in the cursor pad. Not sure what this is supposed
> to indicate. Active Network connection? "not really switched off"?

It does? Oh gosh, that's awful. I hereby predict that it will be soon
disabled, somehow. ;-)

> I am aware that Bluetooth&Wlan power management is very good and that
> it probably is not that relevant for power management to explicitely
> kill all connections when putting the cover on the device.
>
> However it sometimes is convenient to have the Wlan and Bluetooth
> connections cut off when you explicitely put the cover on the 770.
> Putting the cover on the 770 then gives the reassuring feeling of
> "nobody can mess with it remotely, there certainly is no pending stuff
> running there".

That's another nice touch, in these days of diminishing privacy, and gives
the best of both worlds.

You want to keep it connected? Just leave it alone, and after a while the
screen blanks, while connections stay up.

You want to put it to sleep, away from world concerns? Just slide the cover on.

Very simple, very functional. It feels good.

> I guess the only option to do this on the N800 is the
> flight mode, which of course requires actively reenabling this stuff
> when you want to use it again. Certainly not as smoothely integrated
> with the workflow as with the 770.
>
> At least these are my thoughts regarding the cover issue - it is a
> psychological thing and I am a bit sad that Nokia apparently abandoned
> this concept.

The 770 cover also has an important protecting role: it is solid, and
always at hand, thanks to the very well thought out "sliding on the back"
mechanism. The auto-switch off when on the front, no button press needed,
is a very nice touch.

I'm sad that it has been dropped from the new model.

--
Nicola Larosa - http://www.tekNico.net/

In the developed world, we do not have a shortage of IPv4 addresses at
this time. [...] In the developing world the situation is already dire.
In some places, entire universities are hidden behind a single routable
IPv4 address, and in others, NAT's are as much as 5 levels deep.
 -- Jim Gettys, June 2006