[maemo-users] Re: New software version with VOIP built in - Soon

Hi Tapani,

> Do you have usecases where the graphics performance is poor? Remember
> that UI responsiveness does not directly translate as 'graphic
> performance'. Our X, 'Xomap' uses the Damage extension to update only
> needed parts (changed window contents) for the screen and after that
> it's pretty much up to CPU and memory bus to handle it finally to LCD.
> If the CPU and membus are busy doing something else then copying is slower.

Yes I ment UI responsivness, not raw graphic performance.
The whole UI simply feels a bit sluggish compared to Palms or
Pocket-PCs, I know they have faster CPUs but i also think their
software simply is more efficient.

The following "problems" a bit bother me:

* Slow application menu performance - you can watch how it comes up
and dissapears and how the background of apps is painted new when it
dissapears.
If you just move the pen up and down on the open menu you see the
selection lagging 1-2 entries behind the pen.

* Slow dialog-creating time, no matter where you click - any action
that opens a new window creates a noticeable delay.

* Scrolling operations are slow, no matter wether tables, lists or
whatever are scrolled :-/

* Switching between apps takes 200-500ms, when closing dialogs you can
watch the main-window redraw itself.

Again, these small glitches are no real problems, but it just bothers
a bit that you've to wait almost everywhere you click. Any gui-related
operation happens with some delay.

lg Clemens