UI speed Re: [maemo-users] Re: New software version with VOIP built in - Soon

Clemens Eisserer wrote:

> * Slow application menu performance - you can watch how it comes up
> and dissapears and how the background of apps is painted new when it
> dissapears.
> If you just move the pen up and down on the open menu you see the
> selection lagging 1-2 entries behind the pen.

I wonder if all this is because of theming in general or specific
(default) theme used? The menu has nice border made of few lines maybe
theming code draws them one by one? Maybe some simple theme without all
the fancy eye candy can be substantively faster? Or maybe not, who knows.

I too find the UI responsiveness a bit slow. And application startup is
a bit slow too. Even older iPAQ 3870 with OPIE was faster (and it was
slow too comparing to Palm). 2 seconds for Calculator to start on N770
is not exactly fast.

Is it GTK or dynamic linker or dbus or launcher?

Frantisek