Re: lmsensors doesn't detect core-i7 sensors

Jean,

On Sat, Sep 04, 2010 at 09:49:42AM -0400, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Guenter,
>
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 07:32:25 -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:

> > > I proposed once to delete these initialization scripts from our
> > > repository as they are quite distribution specific, but the few votes
> > > were not in my favor.
> > >
> > How about some kind of warning, or at least use different wording in sensors-detect ?
> >
> > The current text is quite absolute ("Copy prog/init/lm_sensors.init to /etc/init.d/lm_sensors")
> > and really invites users to overwrite the distribution specific scripts.
>
> Actually it doesn't:
>
> 		print "Copy prog/init/lm_sensors.init to /etc/init.d/lm_sensors\n".
> 		      "for initialization at boot time.\n"
> 			unless -f "/etc/init.d/lm_sensors";
>
> So the message isn't printed if there is already a script there.
>
> In Mahmood's case, the script is named /etc/init.d/lm-sensors instead,
> so the message would be printed, but running the suggested command
> would _not_ overwrite the file. Not sure what happens where both
> scripts are present though...

Problem is two-fold:
1) People will/may remove lm-sensors anyway, being intelligent and assuming
   this is what they should do.
2) lm_sensors doesn't work with Ubuntu anyway, since /etc/init.d/functions
   does not exist.

> So I would suggest that we simply extend the test to:
>
> 			unless -f "/etc/init.d/lm_sensors"
> 			    or -f "/etc/init.d/lm-sensors";
>
> Would that be OK with you?

Yes.

Another question is if we can get rid of the inclusion of /etc/init.d/functions.
I browsed through the code, but don't immediately see which functions
are used from it, and if they can be replaced. What do you think ?

> If you have a better proposal, I'm listening. The only alternative I
> have in mind is to get rid of the message altogether and delete the
> init script from our repository, leaving integration up to each
> distribution (which at least openSUSE and derivatives already do.)

Removing it sounds like overkill to me. After all, it _does_
provide value (when it works). Maybe we should do the above,
and spend some time getting it to work w/ Ubuntu given its
distribution. I should be able to do that.

Thanks,
Guenter