remove 2.2 support?

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Philip Edelbrock wrote:
> (Sorry to chime in kinda late on this, but I'm trying to digest it.)
>
> Humm, I guess we are touching on three issues in regard to the CVS,
> 2.4.x releases, and 2.5.x kernel sync ups:
>
> - having some support for 2.4.x kernels, at least until 2.6.0 is released.

As I wrote to log, we used 2.2 style module counting in 2.4. As 2.4 and
2.5 have only little difference there, this is not a strong argument to
branch for 2.4.

> - submitting and receiving sync patches (Linus') to a rolling 2.5.x base

This is strong argument for branch, module refcounting and other patches
went past the CVS to 2.5. And 2.5 did not have the latest of CVS before
this happened so merging was not that painless.

> - continued easy development/maintenance (including alpha and beta
> quality stuff)

See above. It is possible to branch a single file for very beta stuff
one wishes to distribute for testing.

> We should keep CVS, just for the sake of an already easy, established
> development platform.  I think we agree with that.
>
> I don't like the idea of branching because it means there is more to
> worry about, *but* it may not be avoidable (at least for a while).
> Having 2.5 be HEAD and a secondary branch for 2.4.x kernels (which will
> go dormant eventually) is a good idea.  Is there a reason to branch i2c
> as well, or can we simply freeze the 2.4.x kernel version of it for
> simplicity? (if it helps)

Expect some changes to i2c api during 2.5 cycle, once they are in,
port them back to 2.4. After that, we could consider merging 2.4 back to
main.

> What we are left with is how to deal with alpha or beta stuff which is
> written against HEAD but is not worthy/safe enough to submit in a patch
> to Linus.  It should be obvious and deliberate enough to safely keep
> questionable code in a place (or way?) which won't accidentially make it
> into the kernel before it's time.  In any case, I want to keep it easy,
> still, to have drivers which will be broken at any point to make the
> barrier to entry of new drivers (bus and chip) low.  Does this make sense?
>
> Removing some stuff to make the project easier to maintain is a good
> idea (as we already decided about the 2.2 kernel stuff).  I wonder how
> long we will still need stuff like mkpatch, too?  If we can solve the
> long-term development problems by removing legacy utils, it could be
> helpful to make less to worry about.

We still need mkpatch -like utility to fix include files. As is today,
some drivers are not patched.

As for sensors compatibility, due the changes in module refcounting for
2.4, compile with lk2-4 will not work. Use POST-2-4-9-KERNELS instead.

To fix this, in sensors CVS I would do:

 - cvs up
 - tag LAST-PRE-2-4-X-KERNEL
 - drop < 2-4-X support
 - tag POST-2-4-X-KERNEL
 - tag LAST-PRE-2-8-0-I2C
 - fix module refcounting to use .owner
 - tag POST-2-8-0-I2C
 - consider PCI changes 2.4<->2.5, branch if necessary

--
  Ky?sti M?lkki
  kmalkki at cc.hut.fi