Re: Live patching miniconf proposal submitted

On Friday 31 August 2018 07:39 PM, Josh Poimboeuf wrote:
On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 09:44:11AM +0530, Kamalesh Babulal wrote:
1. Architecture support.

s390x has ftrace with regs support and klp_arch_set_pc() implemented.
        objtool and reliable stack traces need to be discussed. Reportedly
        some of SUSE's customers have been asking about s390x support
        recently.

So, it'd nice to talk about objtool and archs' peculiarities. Especially
if arch maintainers attend the event.

I did some initial plumbing work to port objtool on powerpc, as a
requirement to add per task consistency check on Powerpc. I am
interested in objtool discussions, including powerpc quirks and on
idea's to improve objtool in general. Some improvement ideas were
discussed at:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/10/19/633
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20170831044209.4hodx2dasad66yab@treble

Didn't we decide that we don't need objtool on powerpc?

Yes, after discussion on powerpc support for stack unwinding it was
concluded that reliable stacktrace check support can be implemented
without objtool on powerpc. Michael, [1] did add to the discussion
saying he would like to see the support for objtool on powerpc,
especially with checking the inline-asm and hand-coded asm code.
Which would assure more reliability on the stack generated.

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/21/289

--
cheers,
Kamalesh.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux SCSI]