Re: Live patching miniconf proposal submitted

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 3:41 AM, Joe Lawrence <joe.lawrence@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 10:33:51AM +0200, Petr Mladek wrote:

>> > First, yes, I'd like to participate.
>>
>> I would like to participate as well.
>>

> I would be interested in participating, too.

I would be interested in participating, too.

>> > As for the topics. Hopefully, the atomic replace and basic selftests will
>> > have been merged by then, so that is one topic less.
>>
>> Let's see ;-)
>>

> I don't mind talking about the selftests if there is any interest in
> what was already posted (what and how it tests), or if anyone has ideas
> on extending them in some way.
>
>> > 1. Architecture support.

>> > s390x has ftrace with regs support and klp_arch_set_pc() implemented.
>> >       objtool and reliable stack traces need to be discussed. Reportedly
>> >       some of SUSE's customers have been asking about s390x support
>> >       recently.
>> >
>> > So, it'd nice to talk about objtool and archs' peculiarities. Especially
>> > if arch maintainers attend the event.
>
> I'm interested in s390x, but am nowhere near an architecture expert.  I
> posted a few weeks back [1] regarding the consistency model and my
> tinkering with s390x, but got no bites from the linux-s390 mailing list
> folks.  It would be great if an arch maintainer could stop by for the
> event.
>
> [1] https://www.spinics.net/lists/live-patching/msg04465.html
>
>> > 3. Userspace tool for live patches creation ("better kpatch-build").
>> > Nothing new here I'm afraid, but Joao may have some input. Also Nicolai
>> > has been working on the first steps to generate live patches from the
>> > source code approach. It'd interesting to hear about that and discuss its
>> > viability.
>>
>> AFAIK, Nicolai tried to create an API to transfer state and data between
>> various versions of livepatches. The primary goal is to keep the
>> callbacks maintainable. They might need to create, update, take over,
>> or destroy some data structures according to the actual state
>> of already installed livepatches.
>>
>> We might discuss it if there is a wider interest into such an API.
>
> I would find this interesting to see with examples.  I'm assuming
> data/state might also include shadow variables, but perhaps they aren't
> special enough to warrant any kind of special API consideration.

I would like to do a presentation about elivepatch[1].
(a wrapper for kpatch-build that is trying to make livepatch flexible,
distributed and recently interested in automation)

[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Elivepatch

--
Thanks,
Alice Ferrazzi

Gentoo Kernel Project Leader
Gentoo Foundation Vice-Secretary
Gentoo Google Summer of Code Administrator
Mail: Alice Ferrazzi <alice.ferrazzi@xxxxxxxxx>
PGP: 2E4E 0856 461C 0585 1336 F496 5621 A6B2 8638 781A

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux SCSI]