Search Linux Wireless

Re: RE: iwl3945 problem with 2.6.25-rc9

On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 15:51 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> > > I'll leave it up to you (collective you, not necessarily a personal
> > > you), how to best deal with associating with APs which are not
> > > broadcasting their SSIDs. I agree with you (personal you this time) that
> > > roaming around the country broadcasting those SSIDs does not seem
> > > particularly desirable. So how should the ability to connect to non SSID
> > > broadcasting APs be implemented?
> >
> > I would probably list, in network-manager, "I found (a) hidden
> > network(s)" and ask the user for an SSID to scan for actively at that
> > particular time, rather than trying to scan for all previously known
> > SSIDs even if those networks weren't hidden, as windows laptops (at
> > least those with Intel hardware but I haven't seen many others) seem to
> > do.
>
> Or it could remember the BSSID and when it encounters the BSSID again
> scan it actively to see if it still has the same (albeit hidden) SSID.

That's what NM does; NM will cache the BSSIDs of previously associated
APs and use that to determine which APs to connect to automatically.

wpa_supplicant, unfortunately, doesn't use this trick when associating
(since it doesn't really store state at all), and therefore in the
hidden AP case, NM passes "ap_scan=1 + scan_ssid=1" to probe-scan the AP
that we want to connect to.  But that's still only _one_ AP being
probe-scanned, not 4...

There's likely some room for improvement in wpa_supplicant here, since
there's added latency waiting for the supplicant to do scans when NM
already knows exactly which AP/BSSID to connect to already, but we can't
push the exact SSID into the supplicant's config, because that would
cause the supplicant to only ever assocate with that AP (I _think_ so at
least) and therefore not roam correctly.

Dan