Search Linux Wireless

Re: RE: iwl3945 problem with 2.6.25-rc9

> Second the 3954 and 4965 my uCode may crash intentionally if you send
> probe requests on a passive channel.according EEPROM.

I really wonder what sort of error handling strategy that is, even if
it's done for regulatory compliance purposes I don't see a need to crash
the whole card. Especially considering that the userspace MLME in
wpa_supplicant will scan by itself (yes, it scans in userspace, whether
or not you may like that), of course it would be made comply with
regulatory settings but that makes it hard to develop.

> I personally  wish to not make SW scanning possible at all for that reason.

That is not going to happen since you can always "scan" by sending probe
requests manually.

> At last iwlwifi HW scanning can handle up to 4 essids for direct scan
> but currently wireless tools interface cannot utilize this.

Does anybody actually *want* that? I personally dislike the behaviour of
scanning for all previously known SSIDs actively when hidden SSIDs are
so uncommon, I see it as an information disclosure vulnerability.

johannes