Search Linux Wireless

RE: iwl3945 problem with 2.6.25-rc9

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 15:12:13 -0700, you wrote:

> On Friday, April 18, 2008 2:57 PM, Johannes Berg wrote:
>
>> Just jumping in here because I want to know if there are any mac80211
>> bugs (I don't have any 5 GHz hw except the iwl4965, no AP), would it
>> maybe help to explicitly enable sw scanning?
>
> First thing is that there is a iwlwifi driver or ucode problem as it
> asserts every time (it seems) when mac_config is called for channels 38,
> 42, 46, and 52. Channel 36 succeeds. The cause of the ucode error is
> unclear to me as I am waiting for somebody to get back to me about what
> the contents of that "event log dump" means.
>
> I looked further about why mac_config is called for those channels and
> the reason appears to be that it is done from ieee80211_sta_scan_work.
> This should not happen as it should only do so for sw scanning (if I
> understand correctly), while the default for this driver is hw scanning
> (and the user is not overriding the default). I am thus now trying to
> figure out how it actually thinks sw scanning is enabled through some
> simple debugging where mac80211 tries to run the driver's hw_scan
> function.
>
> Explicitly enabling sw scanning is an interesting idea.
>
> Marcus: could you please run your test twice with that patch? The first
> time you run it as you did before, the second time please provide the
> driver parameter "disable_hw_scan=1" together with the debug parameter.

Both dmesg logs here:

https://www.cs.tcd.ie/~furlongm/iwlwifi/2.6.25-dmesg-with-patch
https://www.cs.tcd.ie/~furlongm/iwlwifi/2.6.25-dmesg-with-patch-disable_hw_scan

This time I was able to associate, and the dhcp client got an address each time (with and without disable_hwscan=1). However, with disable_hw_scan=1, I tried to associate, then dmesg said it had timed out. After playing around a bit, I figured out that I could only properly associate with my AP (essid testing) after I associated with a different AP (connected to my neighbours one). Rebooted a few times and repeated and it worked each time.

Unfortunately both with and without disable_hwscan=1, I lost the connection after a few minutes.

(Quick question: I can't find information about using wireless-tools and wpa for this driver. I saw for other drivers they use iwpriv set_algo=2 for wpa support, but iwl3945 doesn't seem to support this yet or is there a different way?)

Marcus.
Love Hotmail? It just got better – Drag and Drop capabilities, new Reading Panes making it easier to read your mail, enhanced security settings, 5GB of FREE storage? New Windows Live Hotmail. Get your free account here
http://get.live.com/mail/overview/--