Search Linux Wireless

RE: RE: RE: iwl3945 problem with 2.6.25-rc9

On Friday, April 18, 2008 2:57 PM, Johannes Berg  wrote:

> Just jumping in here because I want to know if there are any mac80211
> bugs (I don't have any 5 GHz hw except the iwl4965, no AP), would it
> maybe help to explicitly enable sw scanning?

First thing is that there is a iwlwifi driver or ucode problem as it
asserts every time (it seems) when mac_config is called for channels 38,
42, 46, and 52. Channel 36 succeeds. The cause of the ucode error is
unclear to me as I am waiting for somebody to get back to me about what
the contents of that "event log dump" means.

I looked further about why mac_config is called for those channels and
the reason appears to be that it is done from ieee80211_sta_scan_work.
This should not happen as it should only do so for sw scanning (if I
understand correctly), while the default for this driver is hw scanning
(and the user is not overriding the default). I am thus now trying to
figure out how it actually thinks sw scanning is enabled through some
simple debugging where mac80211 tries to run the driver's hw_scan
function.

Explicitly enabling sw scanning is an interesting idea.

Marcus: could you please run your test twice with that patch? The first
time you run it as you did before, the second time please provide the
driver parameter "disable_hw_scan=1" together with the debug parameter.

Thank you

Reinette