Search Linux Wireless

RE: RE: iwl3945 problem with 2.6.25-rc9

On Wednesday 16 April 2008 23:55 in
<D936D925018D154694D8A362EEB08920043539AE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Chatre, Reinette wrote:

> There seems to be a lot going on through initialization scripts of your
> distribution. Could you disable all that and try to get up and running
> with as little variables as possible? It may be that the interface is
> automatically brought up when the module is loaded - this script should
> be among your network init scripts. Can you disable that? You can load
> the driver with debugging and see through the logs if anything is trying
> to use it. The first goal is to load the driver and not have it do any
> work after initial load.

Ok, I did this now. iwl3945 is now only loaded manually by modprobe, and the
initscript is disabled for wlan0.

> After this follow the following steps (I am assuming you are not using
> security):
> $ /sbin/ip link set dev wlan0 up
> $ iwlist wlan0 scan
> Search for your AP in the above output - should match with your
> wpa_supplicant conf file.
> $ iwconfig wlan0 channel <channel of your AP> ap <MAC of your AP> essid
> <essid of your AP>
> $ iwconfig
> check above output to see if you are associated
> next use your usual net app to get an IP (dhclient?)
>
> Can you associate with the above steps? What do the logs look like?

The dmesg output is here:

https://www.cs.tcd.ie/~furlongm/iwlwifi/2.6.25-dmesg-wirelesstools-only

iwconfig wlan0 said it was associated (connecting to the AP with no security
now):

wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"testing"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.417 GHz  Access Point: 00:0F:CC:5E:86:00
          Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm
          Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2352 B
          Encryption key:off
          Link Quality=84/100  Signal level=-49 dBm  Noise level=-88 dBm

but it never got an IP address, no matter what timeout I set for the dhcp
client.

iwlist wlan0 scan showed the AP a few times, but mostly found nothing at
all. When it did find APs, it found at most 2-3 APs, whereas the ipw driver
finds 10 or more APs on the same machine.

Marcus.