Search Linux Wireless

Re: RE: iwl3945 problem with 2.6.25-rc9

> > So how would you feel if I told you that, after you have once used that
> > hidden network, your laptop will be broadcasting the SSID in probe
> > requests every time it scans, no matter where you are, even if you've
> > moved across the continent?
>
> I am not going to waste bandwidth debating the correctness of the PCI
> guidelines, because right or wrong, they are what they are. I was just
> trying to point out that the need to deal with access points which do
> not broadcast their SSIDs is real and likely to become more common in
> the future, at least for any systems using wireless in a retail or other
> credit card dealing environment.

Oh, I don't want to debate the PCI guidelines, just saying that, which
is what I started out with, I don't see much reason to have active
scanning for four SSIDs.

> I'll leave it up to you (collective you, not necessarily a personal
> you), how to best deal with associating with APs which are not
> broadcasting their SSIDs. I agree with you (personal you this time) that
> roaming around the country broadcasting those SSIDs does not seem
> particularly desirable. So how should the ability to connect to non SSID
> broadcasting APs be implemented?

I would probably list, in network-manager, "I found (a) hidden
network(s)" and ask the user for an SSID to scan for actively at that
particular time, rather than trying to scan for all previously known
SSIDs even if those networks weren't hidden, as windows laptops (at
least those with Intel hardware but I haven't seen many others) seem to
do.

johannes