Re: usb3 writes fail with transcend rdf8 + ASMedia ASM1042 woes

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 12:01:36 -0700, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 12:49:59PM +0300, Sami Farin wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > thanks for analyzing my logs =)
> > I tried usb-next kernel.  It works much better with sanXi reader
> > (<20120824111628.usmh54g2iv2yxcxo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> for more info),
> > though not very fast read/write speeds (can xhci debug slow it down?).

I forgot to tell this quirk was not enabled in usb-next
[    4.299978] usb-storage 2-1.5.3:1.0: Quirks match for vid 8564 pid 4000: 4000
(US_FL_BULK_IGNORE_TAG)

Maybe it would have been happier with the RDF8..

> Yes, xHCI debug can slow it down.  The logs show it is running at USB
> 3.0 speeds, so if turning off debugging doesn't help, it may be the
> device is just not very fast.  Or maybe the xHCI driver needs more
> performance tuning (although I have seen at least 200 MB/s with a 512KB
> block size with O_DIRECT to /dev/null).

usbmon slowed by a factor of 2.6, so I started thinking..
Do you have ASMedia ASM1042 in some of your test machines?

--
Do what you love because life is too short for anything else.