Re: usb3 writes fail with transcend rdf8 + ASMedia ASM1042 woes

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 14:57:20 -0700, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 12:31:46PM +0300, Sami Farin wrote:
> > I plugged rdf8 reader into usb3 port, mounted it (vfat),
> > cat garbage > out.bin , at the end ls showed a bit over 252000000 byte file,
> > then empty dir listing (df showed input/output error).  When mounted
> > with rdf8 reader plugged into usb2 port the dir listing was intact,
> > like it did not manage to write anything when in usb3..
>
> Hi Sami,
>
> I'm back from vacation and I took a look at your log.  It seems like
> your device works fine for a while, and then it doesn't respond to a
> transfer.  The usb-storage driver attempts to reset it, and the Set
> Address command times out, which causes issues in the xHCI driver.

Hello,

thanks for analyzing my logs =)
I tried usb-next kernel.  It works much better with sanXi reader
(<20120824111628.usmh54g2iv2yxcxo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> for more info),
though not very fast read/write speeds (can xhci debug slow it down?).

But with RDF8 reader I just got write errors pretty quickly after starting
writing to the Transcend SDHC.  With Sandisk card it works OK just like
with older kernels.  (Also, my Nikon D60 has no trouble accessing any
of the cards.)

dmesg-xhci.txt
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_EMXtsx7o56Z2dFYnpUM05iNFk/edit

usbmon-rdf8-usb3.txt
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_EMXtsx7o56OWNSTEVkX2xkRnc/edit

usbmon-rdf8-usb2.txt
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_EMXtsx7o56ZUd1Tk9DR2xlTGM/edit

--
Do what you love because life is too short for anything else.