Re: usb3 writes fail with transcend rdf8 + ASMedia ASM1042 woes

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 12:49:59PM +0300, Sami Farin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> thanks for analyzing my logs =)
> I tried usb-next kernel.  It works much better with sanXi reader
> (<20120824111628.usmh54g2iv2yxcxo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> for more info),
> though not very fast read/write speeds (can xhci debug slow it down?).

Yes, xHCI debug can slow it down.  The logs show it is running at USB
3.0 speeds, so if turning off debugging doesn't help, it may be the
device is just not very fast.  Or maybe the xHCI driver needs more
performance tuning (although I have seen at least 200 MB/s with a 512KB
block size with O_DIRECT to /dev/null).

> But with RDF8 reader I just got write errors pretty quickly after starting
> writing to the Transcend SDHC.  With Sandisk card it works OK just like
> with older kernels.  (Also, my Nikon D60 has no trouble accessing any
> of the cards.)
>
> dmesg-xhci.txt
> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_EMXtsx7o56Z2dFYnpUM05iNFk/edit

The RDF8 reader just happened to successfully respond to the Set Address
Device, and it looks like there's no xHCI errors, so I think the issue
must be with the SCSI command responses.  I'm not a SCSI expert, so
maybe Alan has the time to take a look at them?

> usbmon-rdf8-usb3.txt
> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_EMXtsx7o56OWNSTEVkX2xkRnc/edit
>
> usbmon-rdf8-usb2.txt
> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_EMXtsx7o56ZUd1Tk9DR2xlTGM/edit