Re: usb3 writes fail with transcend rdf8 + ASMedia ASM1042 woes

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 11:14:13 -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> In past years I have found that Genesys's devices tend to be rather
> buggy.  This card reader continues the tradition.  Basically, although
> the firmware works reasonably well at high speed, the SuperSpeed
> support is too buggy to be usable.
>
> My advice is to exchange the card reader for one of a different brand.

I got £6 reader from eBay, sanXi usb3 sdcx reader..
It reset itself to usb2 speed when I tried it in usb3 port
and in usb2 port it is quite slow (14 MB/s).
There are benchmarks done by other people with sanXi where they get good
speed (90 MB/s) but presumably they do not have any ASMedia near their computers.
Also, (after first use) the usb3 port I used sanXi in was DEAD till I rebooted
the machine; also, other devices were not detected in the port, either.

> Alan Stern
>
> P.S.: Sarah, the lspci information shows this xHCI controller to be an
> ASM1042 controller from ASMedia.  Is this one of those known to have
> the short-packet bug?  The usbmon trace shows a cancelled transfer, for
> which 0 bytes must have been received, but with actual_length equal to
> the transfer_buffer_length.

3.6.0-rc2-g6dab7ede has some funny printk's , but it panics on network use
so I am back to 3.5.0-rc7-g84a1caf:

<5>[    5.163846] scsi 10:0:0:0: bad extra_isize (%u != %u)Direct-Access     Generic  STORAGE DEVICE TS07 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
<3>[ 2277.412255] sd 10:0:0:1: 6mpf: %llx

> This would seem to indicate another type of bug in the host controller.
> Apparently it reported normal completion for a transfer that was
> cancelled.

Can these be worked around in kernel, or is firmware update needed
for asmedia?  I have latest BIOS from Asus...

--
Do what you love because life is too short for anything else.