Re: Samsung SCX-3205 scanner does not work with Toshiba Satellite L855

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 10:39:36AM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2012, Sarah Sharp wrote:
>
> > I don't think unbinding the xHCI driver will switch the ports back to
> > EHCI, unless xhci_shutdown is called when the driver is unbound, and
> > Michal has the recent bug fix commit
> > e95829f474f0db3a4d940cae1423783edd966027 "xhci: Switch PPT ports to EHCI
> > on shutdown."
>
> Should this be changed?  The ehci-hcd driver faces a similar situation;
> it shares ports with companion UHCI/OHCI controllers.  The ports are
> switched over to EHCI at bind time and switched back during unbind.
>
> Without something like this, it's impossible to force the ports to
> attach the lower-speed controller when you want, and it's impossible to
> use the ports when the higher-speed driver isn't loaded.

I really don't want the Intel port switchover to work like the EHCI
companion controllers.  It's really just a hardware hack to get around
the lack of official Windows support, and I would really rather utilize
it as little as possible.  Supporting it has already been a giant pain
in the neck, and for the last two release candidates, it seems like
there's a patch or two fixing something broken with that code in every
bug fix pull request I send Greg.  Adding something similar to the EHCI
companion controller switchover on module unload would just add further
complexity.

I would rather that the Intel xHCI systems work similar to a system with
any other third party xHCI host controller: if you have the xHCI driver
loaded, your ports work; if you don't have it loaded, it doesn't.

Sarah Sharp