Re: Samsung SCX-3205 scanner does not work with Toshiba Satellite L855

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012, Sarah Sharp wrote:

> I don't think unbinding the xHCI driver will switch the ports back to
> EHCI, unless xhci_shutdown is called when the driver is unbound, and
> Michal has the recent bug fix commit
> e95829f474f0db3a4d940cae1423783edd966027 "xhci: Switch PPT ports to EHCI
> on shutdown."

Should this be changed?  The ehci-hcd driver faces a similar situation;
it shares ports with companion UHCI/OHCI controllers.  The ports are
switched over to EHCI at bind time and switched back during unbind.

Without something like this, it's impossible to force the ports to
attach the lower-speed controller when you want, and it's impossible to
use the ports when the higher-speed driver isn't loaded.

Alan Stern