Re: USB Serial Converter driver and multiple devices

Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 01:20:58AM +0200, Martin Mokrejs wrote:

>> As the old entry will disappear people will realize the change, hopefully
>> figure out they should use qmi_wwan or similar ;-) And the usbserial
>> will be maybe gone from broad use?
>
> I doubt that, and we need to keep from breaking existing systems, sorry,
> I can't just delete a driver that we know is in use, that would be a bit
> rude, even if I really would like to do that :)

Don't take me wrong, just rename it. People will have to lookup the new name
and if they check updated docs will realize they should have picked up another
driver in the past already. That is fair. ;) Most likely, will have to
report few new PCI IDs to "fix" those other drivers but that is another story
(to make them accept their unrecognized device). ;)

How many times is some option renamed between kernel versions so that
.config needs a change? The driver is in the tree, still. ;)

> thanks,

Me too. ;)
M.