Re: USB Serial Converter driver and multiple devices

Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 06:05:52PM +0000, Russell Nelson wrote:
>> Greg KH <gregkh@...> writes:

>> Well, I say that it works because I can see a /dev/ttyUSB0, but I can't set the
>> baud rate to 4800. But that may be a completely separate problem.
>
> There is no way to set a baud rate for a generic usb-serial device, it's
> physically impossible.  So perhaps it is working just fine for you :)
>
> Again the usb-serial generic device is a very dumb, slow device, with no
> line settings at all.  It's ment for testing and one-off prototypes, not
> for "real" devices in any way.

Is this about the second top-most menu entry?

--- USB Serial Converter support
-*-   Functions for loading firmware on EZUSB chips
[*]   USB Generic Serial Driver

CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC:
Say Y here if you want to use the generic USB serial driver.  Please
read <file:Documentation/usb/usb-serial.txt> for more information on
using this driver.  It is recommended that the "USB Serial converter
support" be compiled as a module for this driver to be used properly.

Or is it about the parent?

CONFIG_USB_SERIAL:

Say Y here if you have a USB device that provides normal serial
ports, or acts like a serial device, and you want to connect it to
your USB bus.

Please read <file:Documentation/usb/usb-serial.txt> for more
information on the specifics of the different devices that are
supported, and on how to use them.

To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the
module will be called usbserial.

Symbol: USB_SERIAL
  Type: tristate
   Prompt: USB Serial Converter support

Could the documenting text be made more clear that this is not really
something to be generally enabled? I probably felt into the same trap
as well. It is puzzling that there are so many devcies listed after the
"USB Generic Serial Driver" ... What am I getting wrong?

Thanks,
Martin