Re: USB Serial Converter driver and multiple devices

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 09:20:14AM +0200, Martin Mokrejs wrote:
> Greg KH wrote:
> > On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 06:05:52PM +0000, Russell Nelson wrote:
> >> Greg KH <gregkh@...> writes:
>
> >> Well, I say that it works because I can see a /dev/ttyUSB0, but I can't set the
> >> baud rate to 4800. But that may be a completely separate problem.
> >
> > There is no way to set a baud rate for a generic usb-serial device, it's
> > physically impossible.  So perhaps it is working just fine for you :)
> >
> > Again the usb-serial generic device is a very dumb, slow device, with no
> > line settings at all.  It's ment for testing and one-off prototypes, not
> > for "real" devices in any way.
>
> Is this about the second top-most menu entry?
>
> --- USB Serial Converter support
> -*-   Functions for loading firmware on EZUSB chips
> [*]   USB Generic Serial Driver

Yes.

> CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC:
> Say Y here if you want to use the generic USB serial driver.  Please
> read <file:Documentation/usb/usb-serial.txt> for more information on
> using this driver.  It is recommended that the "USB Serial converter
> support" be compiled as a module for this driver to be used properly.

Yes, this is the one.

> Or is it about the parent?
>
> CONFIG_USB_SERIAL:
>
> Say Y here if you have a USB device that provides normal serial
> ports, or acts like a serial device, and you want to connect it to
> your USB bus.
>
> Please read <file:Documentation/usb/usb-serial.txt> for more
> information on the specifics of the different devices that are
> supported, and on how to use them.
>
> To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the
> module will be called usbserial.
>
> Symbol: USB_SERIAL
>   Type: tristate
>    Prompt: USB Serial Converter support
>

> Could the documenting text be made more clear that this is not really
> something to be generally enabled? I probably felt into the same trap
> as well. It is puzzling that there are so many devcies listed after the
> "USB Generic Serial Driver" ... What am I getting wrong?

The other devices listed afterward are different drivers, nothing wrong
there.

And distros enable this driver as it is useful for a number of people,
so that's not the problem.

The problem is companies who somehow think this is a valid driver for
their high-speed devices, and write web pages showing this.  Over time,
this stops being an issue as their device ids get incorporated into the
kernel, and all is good, but it can be annoying.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h