Re: USB Serial Converter driver and multiple devices

Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 09:20:14AM +0200, Martin Mokrejs wrote:
>> Greg KH wrote:

>>> There is no way to set a baud rate for a generic usb-serial device, it's
>>> physically impossible.  So perhaps it is working just fine for you :)
>>>
>>> Again the usb-serial generic device is a very dumb, slow device, with no
>>> line settings at all.  It's ment for testing and one-off prototypes, not
>>> for "real" devices in any way.
>>
>> Is this about the second top-most menu entry?
>>
>> --- USB Serial Converter support
>> -*-   Functions for loading firmware on EZUSB chips
>> [*]   USB Generic Serial Driver
>
> Yes.
>
>> CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC:
>> Say Y here if you want to use the generic USB serial driver.  Please
>> read <file:Documentation/usb/usb-serial.txt> for more information on
>> using this driver.  It is recommended that the "USB Serial converter
>> support" be compiled as a module for this driver to be used properly.
>
> Yes, this is the one.

The menuconfig help text should really be updated and more descriptive.
And the 4800 baud rate highlighted. How about renaming
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC to CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC_AT_4800_BAUDRATE_ONLY?

As the old entry will disappear people will realize the change, hopefully
figure out they should use qmi_wwan or similar ;-) And the usbserial
will be maybe gone from broad use?

>> Or is it about the parent?
>>
>> CONFIG_USB_SERIAL:
>>
>> Say Y here if you have a USB device that provides normal serial
>> ports, or acts like a serial device, and you want to connect it to
>> your USB bus.
>>
>> Please read <file:Documentation/usb/usb-serial.txt> for more
>> information on the specifics of the different devices that are
>> supported, and on how to use them.
>>
>> To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the
>> module will be called usbserial.
>>
>> Symbol: USB_SERIAL
>>   Type: tristate
>>    Prompt: USB Serial Converter support
>>

>> Could the documenting text be made more clear that this is not really
>> something to be generally enabled? I probably felt into the same trap
>> as well. It is puzzling that there are so many devcies listed after the
>> "USB Generic Serial Driver" ... What am I getting wrong?
>
> The other devices listed afterward are different drivers, nothing wrong
> there.
>
> And distros enable this driver as it is useful for a number of people,
> so that's not the problem.

I read the Documentation/usb/usb-serial.txt and not even that says anything
about 4800 speed of the usbserial driver (mentions that incidentally in some
other section but does not seems to be generally applicable).

> The problem is companies who somehow think this is a valid driver for
> their high-speed devices, and write web pages showing this.  Over time,
> this stops being an issue as their device ids get incorporated into the
> kernel, and all is good, but it can be annoying.

I think this should be really named like testing, 480bps driver.

> Hope this helps,

Sure, thanks. Now to rip away usage of this module from all Linux distros,
home routers, firewalls, etc. Impossible.