Re: USB Serial Converter driver and multiple devices

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 01:20:58AM +0200, Martin Mokrejs wrote:
> Greg KH wrote:

> >> Is this about the second top-most menu entry?
> >>
> >> --- USB Serial Converter support
> >> -*-   Functions for loading firmware on EZUSB chips
> >> [*]   USB Generic Serial Driver
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> >> CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC:
> >> Say Y here if you want to use the generic USB serial driver.  Please
> >> read <file:Documentation/usb/usb-serial.txt> for more information on
> >> using this driver.  It is recommended that the "USB Serial converter
> >> support" be compiled as a module for this driver to be used properly.
> >
> > Yes, this is the one.
>
> The menuconfig help text should really be updated and more descriptive.
> And the 4800 baud rate highlighted. How about renaming
> CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC to CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC_AT_4800_BAUDRATE_ONLY?

There is no such baud rate setting, as there is no baud rate at all for
these devices (baud rates only pertain to the serial portion of the
line, and for these devices, there are no "serial" portion of the
device).

The generic driver doesn't accept any line settings being made, as
again, they don't make any sense, so it's not just limited to baud rate.
The driver is "slow" for other reasons, all USB ones, who really knows
the "real" baud rate the data is flowing at, it depends on your
hardware.

> As the old entry will disappear people will realize the change, hopefully
> figure out they should use qmi_wwan or similar ;-) And the usbserial
> will be maybe gone from broad use?

I doubt that, and we need to keep from breaking existing systems, sorry,
I can't just delete a driver that we know is in use, that would be a bit
rude, even if I really would like to do that :)

thanks,

greg k-h