Re: [Libusb-devel] [ANN] HID dumping tool

On 10/09/2010 03:39 PM, Xiaofan Chen wrote:
Now that usbhid-dump is integrated into usbutils git, just wondering
if it makes sense to integrate hidrd (which provides hidrd-convert)
as well. If not, usbhid-dump is not that useful after all.
I don't think it is entirely a good idea. After all, hidrd-convert is mainly
a development/hacking tool and could theoretically be used on a system
unsupported by libusb and/or not having USB at all. Then, its unique feature
is the ability to edit existing binary descriptors, which requires libxml2
currently. It wouldn't be very nice either to have usbutils depend on it, or
to ship hidrd without editing support.

 From the site, typical use of usbhid-dump will be redirect the
output to hidrd-convert to dump human readable format.
http://digimend.sourceforge.net/#proj-hid-dump
Another important feature (and I guess most important for some) is the
report dumping, which doesn't require hidrd-convert at all.

One more thing, right now I need to use lsusb to find the
bus and device number first before I can run usbhid-dump,
is it possible to add the "-d vid:pid" option just like lsusb?
Yeah, I think it would be nice to have, although would require adjusting
existing interface a bit.

BTW, it is working nicely. For example, if I need to dump the
HID report descriptor of a USB composite device (interface 1),
then I need to manually unbind the kernel driver in order to
use "lsusb -vvv". But usbhid-dump makes things easier.
Glad to hear that :) I think lsusb could benefit from an option enabling
detachment/attachment of the listed devices.

Sincerely,
Nick