Re: [ANN] HID dumping tool

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 08:35:35PM +0400, Nikolai Kondrashov wrote:
> On 07/27/2010 07:59 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> >Very nice.
> Thanks :)
>
> >Would it make sense to add this tool to the usbutils package for wider
> >distribution?
> Well, the usbutils maintainers would know better, of course.

That would be me :)

> However, I see a problem here: usbutils uses libusb 0.1, while
> hid-dump uses libusb 1.0 for its device reattaching and async I/O. The
> libusb 1.0 is not backward-compatible and depending on two similar
> libraries or even using libusb-compat-0.1 would be too much, IMHO.

I have patches to convert usbutils to use libusb 1.0, I just need to
take the time to fix them up and merge them.

> I guess it is not a big deal to rewrite lsusb for libusb 1.0 (and would be
> an interesting exercise), but it still requires some effort and political
> leverage.

The majority of the work is already done, I just need to fix it up.

So, if that's taken care of, would you have any objections to adding the
tool to the main usbutils repo?

thanks,

greg k-h